This highly interactive 3 day course will develop the practical skills you need to become an effective business analyst and equip you with BCS accreditation that is highly regarded by prestigious UK employers.
The following topics will be covered:
Business analysis rationale:
- What is a business system.
- The place of business analysis.
- Business analysis versus systems analysis.
- Approaches to business analysis.
Strategic analysis in context:
- Understanding the organisation’s strengths and weaknesses.
- External analysis – PESTLE.
- Internal analysis – Resource Audit.
A project approach to business analysis:
- Business analysis studies as projects.
- Terms of reference and project initiation.
- Assuring business benefit.
Understanding the situation/issues:
- Types of business ‘problem’.
- Rich pictures.
- Defining the problem.
- Review of investigation techniques.
- Business perspective – introduction.
- Defining the perspective – CATWOE.
Analysing and modelling the business activities:
- Modelling business activities.
- Five types of business activity.
- Modelling multiple perspectives.
- Decomposing activities.
- Validating the business activity model.
- End-to-end process maps.
Creative problem solving:
- Barriers to creativity.
- Stimulating creative thinking.
Identifying potential solutions:
- Exploring the gap between the current and desired situation.
- Areas for business improvement (structure, processes, people)
- Holistic approach to business solutions.
- Discussion of business change programmes.
Making the business case:
- Contents of a business case.
- Costs and benefits.
- Impacts and risks.
- Payback and discounted cash flow.
- Presenting the business case.
Course summary and review:
- Review of concepts and approaches covered.
Presented in association with metadata training.
Professionals seeking to improve their business analysis skills and knowledge
- Project experts including project managers, project support staff and project analysts
- Business experts including product owners, subject matter experts (SMEs), business change managers, senior users, project stakeholders
- IT experts including systems architects, software developers, testers, support and trainers
- Practising business analysts – experienced or junior
There are no formal prerequisites to attend the course but most delegates have a graduate-level education and some business experience.
On successfully passing the exam you will receive the BCS certificate in Business Analysis Practice. This is a core module of the BCS Diploma in Business Analysis. The exam fee is included in the cost of the course.
One hour ‘open book’ written exam, based on a business scenario. The pass mark is 50%.
The following will be included in this BCS Business Analysis Practice training course:
- Exam and certification fee
- BCS Business Analysis book
- Accredited Instructor
Dates and Prices for BCS Business Analysis Practice
We currently have no public classroom courses scheduled, but would be more than happy to run this course for you. Please contact us using the form below and we will get back to you with some dates and prices.
All quoted prices are exclusive of VAT for consumers who pay no VAT or can recover VAT. The current rate of VAT is 20% for consumers that are required to pay VAT. All course bookings are subject to availability.
Frequently Asked Questions
What time does the Business Analysis Practice course start and finish each day?
Over the three days training starts at 9:00am and finishes at 5pm each day.
Do I get a certificate at the end of the course?
Yes, BCS will email you a registration login to download a copy of your e-certificate.
Do I need IT skills to attend the courses?
No, none of our Business Analysis courses require you to have IT skills.