Award in the Principles of Fire Safety Awareness – Level 1
✓ Fully Accredited HABC Course
✓ Includes courseware, equipment and exams
✓ Taught by Certified Trainers
The Level 1 Fire Safety qualification is aimed at staff, particularly new starters in any workplace, where a basic understanding of fire safety is required. Learners gaining this qualification will know that fire safety is the responsibility of everyone in the workplace and will recognise the contribution they have in preventing the starting and spread of fires.
Understand the principles of fire and its prevention
- Components of the fire triangle – ignition, fuel, oxygen.
- How elements start/reduce/stop a fire, causes of fire
- Main causes of fires in the workplace – arson, electrical faults, smoking materials
- Reduce the likelihood of a fire- fire risk assessment, housekeeping, physical controls, employee controls (training), equipment safety and servicing e.g. gas and electric, storage of flammable substances/fuel.
- Main costs of fires in the workplace – personal injury or death, direct cost to building and business, insurance costs, loss of jobs, society healthcare, social welfare.
- Structural features of means of escape – fire doors, staircases, emergency lighting, escape doors, assembly points How to ensure they are maintained – regular inspection, testing, maintenance.
Understand how fire risk is controlled in the workplace
- Actions to take in the event of a fire – raise the alarm, evacuate, contact emergency services, fight a fire if able, assembly point
- Types of fire-fighting equipment – portable Extinguishers – water, dry powder, foam, wet chemical, CO2 , blanket. Fixed sprinklers, hoses.
- Ensure fire safety equipment is available for use – regular servicing of equipment.
This qualification is assessed by a 15-question multiple-choice examination that must be completed within 30 minutes.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the hazards and risks associated with fire in the workplace
- Understand how fire risk is controlled in the workplace
The following will be included in this Fire Safety training course:
- Course equipment (if applicable)
- Certified Instructor
Dates and Prices for Award in the Principles of Fire Safety Awareness – Level 1
We currently have no public classroom courses scheduled, but would be more than happy to run this course for you. Please contact us using the form below and we will get back to you with some dates and prices.
Frequently Asked Questions
What time does the Level 1 Fire Safety course start and finish each day?
On each day of the course the training starts at 9:15am and finishes by 1:00pm.
Our registered office and postal address is 50 Commercial Road, Newport, Gwent, NP20 2PE
All quoted prices are exclusive of VAT for consumers who pay no VAT or can recover VAT. The current rate of VAT is 20% for consumers that are required to pay VAT.
All course bookings are subject to availability.